Saudi Blood Money for Bloodletting in Yemen
by Stephen Lendman
UN officials appealed for an immediate $274 million in desperately needed emergency humanitarian aid for Yemenis.
Saudi mass murderer/King Salman offered to contribute the entire amount – while he continues daily terror-bombing, targeting civilians and exacerbating a horrific humanitarian crisis.
Billions of dollars in aid are needed to address it. A small fraction of it barely scratches the surface.
Saudi oil wealth won’t restore lost lives. It won’t replace lost limbs. It won’t soothe traumatized children.
It won’t erase the agony of lost loved ones. It won’t stop US planned, orchestrated and directed Saudi-led aggression.
Yemen is being raped in plain sight. It’s being systematically ravaged and destroyed.
Perhaps 3,000 or more died so far in 25 days of fighting – over 85 alone in the past 24 hours in one Yemeni province alone.
Thousands have been seriously injured – many maimed for life, their limbs blown off by Saudi terror-bombing.
Many Yemenis have no access to healthcare. Untreated serious wounds may lead to death. Human suffering is extreme.
An entire country is under siege. On orders from Washington, land, sea and air blockade was imposed. US warships are involved enforcing it.
Nothing can get in or out without US or Saudi permission. On Saturday, fighting raged in most Yemeni governorates.
Saudi-led terror-bombing targeted Sanaa, Aden, Taiz, Marib, Saada, Shabwa, Lahj and other areas.
Yemen’s illegitimate government in exile rejected Iran’s four-point peace proposal on orders from Washington. It called for:
- warring parties agreeing to halt fighting;
- providing desperately needed humanitarian aid;
- initiating intra-Yemeni dialogue; and
- establishing unity governance with all parties participating.
It’s a sensible way to end conflict – to resolve differences between both sides diplomatically.
Obama wants war continued. He categorically rejects peace. He has lots more death and destruction in mind for Yemenis. He may not quit until he slaughters them all.
Tehran rejects accusations it’s aiding Houthis militarily. It very much wants to provide humanitarian aid. Blockade prevents it.
Yemeni tweets best explain ongoing nightmarish conditions.
“My life in #Yemen, no electricity, no water, no food, no security, no work. We’re dying every day,” said one.
“They’ve forgotten all abt us,” said another.
“Children are extremely terrified,” a victim explained.
“After all of this is done. The Saudis better pay for PTSD treatment of 26 million Yemenis.”
“24 nights straight of heavy bombing. More than any human can take.”
“12:40AM & can hear neighborhood kids/women scream with each earth shaking bomb jets drop…never this intense since onset 3 W ago…”
“My little girl crying silently. Her tears&shaking body while I hug her tell alot.”
Saudis intend to continue daily terror-bombing without letup. Scores of ongoing sorties terrify Yemini civilians.
Saudi military spokesman General Ahmed al-Assiri said “(w)e are not in a hurry…We have the time, and we have the capabilities.”
Tehran University Professor Mohammad Marandi said “(a)s long as the Saudis are carrying out this shock-and-awe campaign against ordinary Yemenis, there’s really no hope for any sort of peace plan to work.”
“So the Iranians are waiting for the Saudis to run out of steam and to recognize the enormous mistake that they have made.”
Iran’s Security Council head Ali Shamkhani calls Saudi-led aggression a “historic mistake.” He warned of dire consequences for Riyadh, saying:
“The Saudi aggression against Yemen is against the UN Charter, against the principles of peaceful coexistence and against the legal tenets ruling the UN and aims to deviate the path of the Muslim world and wear off the internal power and capacities of the world of Islam.”
“Unfortunately, Saudi Arabia has made a big historical mistake, and this heresy will definitely have no end but loss and damage for them.”
Iranian General Ahme Reza Pourdastan believes Saudi aggression “will certainly fail.”
“The Saudi army is a hired (mercenary) army, and now that no bullets have been fired at it, we see the symptoms of defeat in them already…”
Washington is directly involved in ongoing fighting. It’s choosing targets to strike – including civilian ones.
On Saturday, reports indicated one or more US warships fired cruise missiles on Yemeni sites.
They’ve done it several times before. Perhaps much more to come. Western media remain silent. They support what demands denunciation.
Millions of suffering Yemenis don’t matter. Imperial aims alone count. Yemen’s nightmare continues.
Obama’s latest atrocity threatens an entire nation with mass slaughter, destruction, overwhelming deprivation and unspeakable human suffering.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at email@example.com.
His new book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”
Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com.
Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.
It airs three times weekly: live on Sundays at 1PM Central time plus two prerecorded archived programs.