Russia Falsely Accused of US Airstrike on Syrian Mosque

Russia Falsely Accused of US Airstrike on Syrian Mosque
by Stephen Lendman
Overnight Thursday, US warplanes terror-bombed a Syrian mosque in al-Jinnah village near Aleppo. Hundreds of worshipers were inside at the time.
Bodies are still being pulled from rubble, the death toll so far up to 70, likely rising, many others injured.
CENTCOM denied the attack. Its spokesman said “(w)hat (was) target(ed) was destroyed. There is mosque within 50 feet of that building that is still standing.” Photos of it destroyed prove otherwise.
A Pentagon source told NBC News the mosque was not hit, saying it may have been blown up later, falsely suggesting Russian responsibility.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said “(b)iased news outlets immediately picked up the news (of the mosque’s destruction) and rushed to accuse Russia’s Aerospace Force of carrying out the airstrike.”
People clearing debris at the site “found a missile fragment with” markings indicating a US hellfire missile was used to destroy the mosque.
Russian Defense Ministry spokesman General Igor Konashenkov said “(a) photo showing a fragment of an air-to-surface AGM-114 Hellfire missile has emerged.” 
“It leaves no chance for the US-led coalition to remain silent as usual and for diplomats to spout anti-Russian rhetoric. I think we should expect” Washington to “comment on this attack.”
Western media should get their facts straight before blaming Russia or Syria for US war crimes – my words explaining what Konashenkov said.
One or more missiles struck the mosque. They weren’t Russian or Syrian. They were American, the Pentagon admitting US warplanes bombed within feet of the mosque.
Smart munitions are very accurate. US warplanes struck what they aimed at. They terror-bombed a mosque, denied it, killed dozens, maybe scores when the full toll is known, on the phony pretext of targeting terrorists Washington supports – a clear war crime and attempted coverup.
All US post-WW II earlier wars were illegal. So are ongoing ones – genocidal high crimes against peace, defenseless civilians harmed most.
International law prohibits targeting civilians and non-military related sites.
On Monday, Trump authorized unrestrained CIA drone warfare. Proposed so-called counterterrorism strategy will let Pentagon commanders choose targets without White House approval, according to unnamed senior US officials.
Trump wars perhaps will get hotter than Obama’s – an era of peace off-the-table under a president sharply criticizing interventionism earlier.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at lendmanstephen@sbcglobal.net. 
His new book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: How the US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”
Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com. 

Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: