Iran Retaliates Against Homeland Terrorist Attack
by Stephen Lendman (stephenlendman.org – Home – Stephen Lendman
On September 20, US-supported terrorists attacked a military parade in Ahvaz, Iran.
A reported 30 individuals were killed, around 70 others injured, many seriously, military personnel and civilians targeted, parade watchers mostly harmed.
Following the incident, Iran vowed retaliation, saying perpetrators would be hunted down and dealt with harshly.
Pre-dawn Monday, Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) launched surface-to-surface ballistic missiles against what an IRGC statement called gatherings of ringleaders of the Ahvaz terrorist attack in Syria’s Deir Ezzor province eastern countryside, East of the Euphrates River, adding:
Large numbers of Takfiri terrorists and their ringleaders were killed or wounded. Ammunition storage and logistic sites were also struck.
“Security of the Iranian people is the Armed Forces’ redline, and the IRGC spares no efforts in maintaining peace and security. The IRGC will give a crushing response to any wickedness.”
Its statement linked the Ahvaz incident to US and Israeli “state terrorism,” along with the Saudis and UAE.
Following the missile strikes, Iranian drones struck ISIS’ believed headquarters near Hajjin in eastern Deir Ezzor.
An IRGC statement said six missiles and seven combat drones conducted the pre-dawn attack, launched at 2AM local time, 570 kilometers from the targeted location – the operation code-named “Zarbat-e Muharram (Muharram Strike).”
Iran’s military intelligence said 22 jihadists in the country were arrested, believed to be connected to the Ahvaz incident.
The Islamic Republic blamed the US, Israel, the Saudis and UAE for the likely CIA/Israeli Mossad orchestrated attack.
The anti-Iranian Ahwaz separatist group and ISIS both claimed responsibility – four attackers involved, three killed, the other arrested but died of his wounds.
IRGC spokesman General Abolfazl Shekarchi said elements responsible for what happened were trained by the US and Israel’s Mossad in two Gulf states – believed to be Saudi Arabia and the UAE, both countries militantly hostile to Iran.
Following the incident, UAE political advisor to its crown prince Abdulkhaleq Abdulla called the attack justified – falsely claiming an attack on “a military target is not a terrorist act,” adding:
“Moving the battle deeper inside Iran is a declared option and will increase during the next phase.”
Iran’s pre-dawn Monday strike came days after IRGC Deputy Commander Brigadier General Hossein Salami warned the Saudis and UAE against interfering in Tehran’s domestic affairs or face retaliation, saying:
“We will take revenge for every drop of the Ahvaz martyrs’ blood from the domestic and foreign elements behind this incident,” adding:
“We warn the Saudi and Emirati regimes that you cannot endure or sustain the blade of our vengeance.”
The Trump regime and its imperial allies are waging political, economic, and terror war on the Islamic Republic – heading things for possible direct confrontation.
Is a military showdown inevitable? Washington under Republicans and undemocratic Dems want Islamic Republic governance toppled, replaced by pro-Western puppet rule – their objective since Iran’s 1979 revolution.
Longstanding US hostility toward Tehran risks greater regional war than so far waged, a potentially devastating prospect if launched.
VISIT MY NEW WEB SITE: stephenlendman.org (Home – Stephen Lendman). Contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My newest book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: How the US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”